Harrogate residents who battled against 53 homes being built at Knox Lane have expressed their delight after councillors refused the plans on Tuesday.
Bilton residents’ delight at housing scheme refusal Harrogate residents who battled against 53 homes being built at Knox Lane have expressed their delight after councillors refused the plans on Tuesday. The application by developer Jomast was controversial with over 500 people objecting to scheme, which would have been built in a green corner of Bilton close to the picturesque Spruisty Bridge. The spectre of development has hung over the area for many years and resident Sue Wrightson told the Local Democracy Reporting Service that locals were “delighted” with the result. Plans had been deferred by councillors three times before over contamination but this time it was refused over fears the increase in traffic would exacerbate congestion in Bilton and harm the local landscape. Ms Wrightson said:
“Local residents have worked very hard over the last three years to ensure that council officers were aware of the many valid reasons why this development is entirely inappropriate.”Residents in Bilton and Knox have mobilised against the scheme, holding meetings, building a website and sending out newsletters with updates. Ms Wrighton said the campaign has strengthened community spirit in the area. She added:
“We have struggled to make them listen and we are very grateful to those planning committee members who have supported our case today. “It’s been a learning curve as far as planning regulations are concerned but we have enjoyed the collaboration of several local experts. “This whole episode has really strengthened local community spirit and resolve.”While the plans were refused on Tuesday, council officer Glenn Sharpe warned councillors that because the site is in the Local Plan, a refusal could open up North Yorkshire Council to a potentially costly appeal unless they could defend it with sound planning reasons. But the developer did not submit a required travel plan with the application to set out how it would promote sustainable travel such as walking or cycling. A criticism of the scheme was that it was not close to a bus route. The LDRS has asked Jomast’s planning agent Spawforths if the developer plans to appeal but we did not receive a response. By Thomas Barrett, Local Democracy Reporter Read more local stories from Your Harrogate here.

Pilot dies following aircraft crash near Masham, police confirm
Ripon's Portly Pig to host charity football tournament
Council to review parking charges across North Yorkshire
Free packed lunches at Starbeck café feed families in need
Harrogate dentist recognised at national dental awards
Knaresborough beeswax candle shop set to close
Harrogate Town launches new half-time crossbar challenge
Queen and ABBA tribute acts to headline Harrogate Beer Festival
Ripon entrepreneur to appear on Dragon's Den
Harrogate figures to be 'jailed' to raise money for Harrogate Theatre
Harrogate bookshop named as finalist for British Book Awards
Council update on operator of Alpamare water park
Visitor levy would be mayor's decision, says senior councillor
Date announced for return of Harrogate dog show
Harrogate's Italian community donates sensory kits worth £1,200 to Harrogate Hospital
Man taken to Leeds General infirmary following aircraft crash in Masham
Six arrested following car theft in Harrogate
FULL CHAT: Local occupational therapist hosts online masterclass to support new mums
Harrogate businesses reject new accommodation BID proposal
New interior showroom to open on Albert Street


