North Yorkshire Council will begin the process next week to find a replacement for a senior officer who recently announced his departure.
The authority’s chief officers appointments and disciplinary committee will meet on Wednesday 7th May to start plans to find a new corporate director for children and young people’s services.
Sir Stuart Carlton announced he was leaving that authority last week after eight years at the council.
Paying tribute to his years of dedication and service, North Yorkshire Council’s chief executive, Richard Flinton, said:
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank Stuart for the hard work he has done since he joined the council in 2017.
“During this time, he has led the children’s services during challenging times, delivering improved outcomes for our children and young people in North Yorkshire and ensuring they have the best start in life.
“We will now begin the process of recruiting a new executive director for children’s services. Stuart will remain in this key leadership post until October.
“We wish him every success for the future.”
The officer, who receives an annual salary of just under £160,000, told councillors he was leaving despite not having any firm plans on what he would be doing next.
In a statement issued by the council, he said the job at North Yorkshire Council had been the privilege of his career of almost 40 years.
He added:
“I have never regretted making the move here to work and live in the most beautiful county in the UK, but all things must come to an end.
“I’ve enjoyed working with a talented and dedicated team of officers and councillors and with partners across North Yorkshire and beyond.”
Next week’s meeting will be held in private.
The committee is made up of senior Conservative councillors, as well leaders from the other political groups.
Sir Stuart was knighted in the New Year’s Honours for his work and dedication over his career in children’s services.

Five arrested as armed police called to house in Bilton
Eight players set to leave Harrogate Town as club unveils retained list
Schools trust secures £50,000 grant to establish active travel network
Fourth Harrogate resident wins free tank of fuel
Ripon residents key to helping shape future of historic town hall
Knaresborough brother and sister duo clinch national judo medals
Nidderdale Darts League calls for new teams to 'step up to the oche'
Council's "patch up" approach to filling potholes criticised
Man in his 70's arrested following indecent exposure incidents in Ripon
Ripon pupils named among top 50 young economists in UK
New holiday club for special needs children to launch in Harrogate
Harrogate charity prepares to host 'hat day' to raise dementia awareness
£50,000 miniature joins Newby Hall's dollhouse collection
Tourist tax would be 'total game changer', says Mayor
The Harrogate community café brewing something different
New Harrogate steakhouse targets June opening date
Ripon couple complete 10 marathons in 10 days
Star of The Housemartins to perform at Bilton Club
Route revealed for return of Masham Tractor Run this weekend
Opening date revealed for Harrogate's new gluten-free café


