Councillors have deferred making a decision on plans to erect bollards and planters outside the former Harrogate Borough Council offices at Crescent Gardens, leading to the eventual closure of the road.
Impala Estates, which bought the building from HBC for £4m in 2020, wants to block traffic from entering to the front of the building, running between Swan Road to the west and Montpellier Road to the east.
The developer already has planning permission to convert Crescent Gardens into office and restaurant space.
However, to close the road in front of the building it would also require a separate ‘stopping up order’ from the Department for Transport, requiring a public consultation.
Councillors on the Harrogate & Knaresborough planning committee considered the application to erect the planters and bollards this afternoon in Harrogate but were uneasy at the potential ramifications of their decision.
Local resident Patrick Turner urged councillors to refuse the scheme and said he and other residents use the road to get to their homes.
He said:
“It’s a useful road providing access to and from the Duchy estate and beyond. It also takes some traffic away from busy roads nearby.
"It’s a quiet road, so why is there a need to stop it up?”
Planning agent Hamish Robertshaw spoke on behalf of Impala and described how measures would be put in place to stop vehicles from entering.
He added:
“[The application] conforms to relevant policy causes no harm or impact and provides benefits to town centre and Crescent Gardens development.”
But Cllr Robert Windass (Conservative, Boroughbridge & Claro) said he didn’t understand why the application had been recommended for approval by a council officer in a report.
He said:
“Are we going to be anti-car totally so we don’t let cars down roads? There have been numerous objections to this.
"A lot of people feel very strongly. It’s absolutely bizarre.”
Cllr Philip Broadbank (Liberal Democrat, Fairfax & Starbeck) added his concerns and said a public right of way that has existed for almost a century could be lost.
Councillors heard that a deal had been agreed between HBC and Impala Estates to sell the road but Cllr Paul Haslam (Independent, Bilton & Nidd Gorge) said he wanted the plans to be deferred so more information could be received about the deal and whether the restrictions would be limited to vehicles.
He added:
“We will make a small decision with potentially enormous consequences.”
Councillors unanimously voted to defer the application to a future planning committee pending another report.
Meanwhile, at the same meeting councillors were due to consider a plan for 8 apartments at Stockwell Road in Knaresborough but the developer withdrew the application before the meeting.

Fairground rides return to Valley Gardens for half term
Six teenage boys arrested after 'violent incident' in Harrogate
Your Skipton and Your Ilkley to launch on DAB next week
Police appeal after hit-and-run on Knaresborough High Street
Harrogate Town announce signing of Chesterfield midfielder
Free Fuel Friday: Another winner scoops free tank of fuel
Smiley/sad face speed signs set to remain banned in North Yorkshire
Harrogate primary school takes climate education to national stage
Historic village pub enjoys successful reopening under new ownership
Masham primary school unveils newly refurbished library
No motorists turned away from Harrogate waste centres due to rule change
RHS Harlow Carr to host Summer Garden Weekend
First look inside Furlong and Furrow ahead of reopening
Harrogate man and colleagues tackle Three Peaks in memory of his mum
Harrogate care organisation raises £500 at Nidderdale Walk
Mayor urged to "come to the table" to discuss road repair funding
Monthly IT support clinic for elderly people launched in Harrogate
Harrogate College celebrates milestone as new campus takes shape
Children are taking over the Leeds station tannoy this weekend – here's why
Vernon Kay joins lineup for Harrogate's Symphonic Ibiza event


