The mayor of York and North Yorkshire has rejected suggestions he favoured his home city over the wider county when he handed out funding for transport projects.
North Yorkshire Council this week agreed to accept funding totalling £11.3m from the York and North Yorkshire Combined Authority as part of the government’s local transport grant scheme.
The money, which must be spent on work that starts during the current financial year, will be used for a range of projects.
£1.8m has been allocated to the Selby station gateway scheme.
Improvements to traffic lights in Colburn and Skipton, work on footways in Thirsk Market Place and changes in Huntriss Row, in Scarborough Town Centre, are also planned.
Of the total grant, £7m earmarked for station gateway schemes in Harrogate and Skipton, as well as a new building planned as part of the Selby scheme, will be held until the combined authority has been reassured the money can be used within the required timescale.
Members of North Yorkshire Council’s executive committee voted on Tuesday to accept the funding.
But Councillor Mark Crane, executive member for open to business, questioned why City of York Council received almost £7m of the funding awarded by the Department for Transport, when it served a much smaller area.
Cllr Crane said:
“I just feel that it’s slightly out when you look at how much York has got.
“York accounts for 25 per cent of the population of York and North Yorkshire.
“They account for, you’ll have to remind me what the percentage of the geography is, ten per cent or nine per cent or something?
“But they have managed to get 40 per cent of the spend.
“I guess I should remind people that the mayor, wonderful person that he is, lives in York.”
Councillor Malcolm Taylor, executive member for highways and transportation, also questioned the allocations.
“While we are very grateful for the funding that’s coming our way, in a greater context it does seem interesting that our percentage does seem out of kilter — I think I’ll leave it at that.”
In response, David Skaith, mayor of York and North Yorkshire, rejected the suggestion that York had been favoured with the allocations.
He added:
“This is absolutely not true and not how we decide on funding. We work closely with North Yorkshire Council and have funded all priority projects which meet our tight timeframes.
“This £20m investment in transport schemes across York and North Yorkshire is about one thing – delivering for people, because everyone should feel safe while they enjoy walking, wheeling and cycling.
“By working with North Yorkshire Council and City of York Council, we have secured the future of projects that will make a real difference across the region. We have supported schemes in York and towns like Selby, Thirsk, Colburn and Skipton.”

Pilot dies following aircraft crash near Masham, police confirm
Ripon's Portly Pig to host charity football tournament
Council to review parking charges across North Yorkshire
Free packed lunches at Starbeck café feed families in need
Harrogate dentist recognised at national dental awards
Knaresborough beeswax candle shop set to close
Harrogate Town launches new half-time crossbar challenge
Queen and ABBA tribute acts to headline Harrogate Beer Festival
Ripon entrepreneur to appear on Dragon's Den
Harrogate figures to be 'jailed' to raise money for Harrogate Theatre
Harrogate bookshop named as finalist for British Book Awards
Council update on operator of Alpamare water park
Visitor levy would be mayor's decision, says senior councillor
Date announced for return of Harrogate dog show
Harrogate's Italian community donates sensory kits worth £1,200 to Harrogate Hospital
Man taken to Leeds General infirmary following aircraft crash in Masham
Six arrested following car theft in Harrogate
FULL CHAT: Local occupational therapist hosts online masterclass to support new mums
Harrogate businesses reject new accommodation BID proposal
New interior showroom to open on Albert Street


